Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

Peter Grandi pg_dhcp at dhcp.for.sabi.co.UK
Sun Nov 20 01:20:51 UTC 2011

[ ... ]

> I'm pretty sure you're allowed to use a /127 for point to
> point links.

Uhm, I think that "works" but I suspect it is not necessarily
standards compliant.

A random "data point": I use SiXXS tunnels, and the SiXXS people
tend to be pretty strict *and* reasonable, and their (PTP)
tunnels use /64 prefixes with exactly 2 interface suffixes
allowed.

They don't allow to use more than exactly 2, and if you want
multiple addresses for your endpoint (for example for multiple
address based HTTP sites) you can allocate another /64 for that.

Again the basic story is that /64 prefixes are actually quite
plentiful, so using longer prefixes is not really worth it.