Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Sat Nov 19 23:49:00 UTC 2011

On Nov 20, 2011, at 6:46 AM, "sthaug at nethelp.no" <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:
> Not really. I'm asking for a change specifically to DHCPv6 so that a MAC
> address can be transmitted from client to server. I'm perfectly happy if
> this is in *addition* to whatever identifier current DHCPv6 standards
> mandate. Thus I think an RFC which specifies a MAC address as a form of
> "hint" would be just fine. I *do* think this should have been in DHCPv6
> from the start.

You are probably right about that, but hindsight is 20/20. Making sure it's not an identifier was considered crucial, and nobody thought about the dual stack problem.  Operational experience is important, and we didn't have any.

So now it's a bit late, but probably people will implement what we define quickly.