Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Nov 19 19:52:03 UTC 2011

> > Of course using prefixes wider than /64 doesn't break IPv6. It breaks
> > SLAAC, which is not at all the same thing. You, of all people, should
> > know this.
>
> Yes, it does break IPv6.   You just don't happen to be aware that it breaks IPv6.   E.g., it breaks SEND, and CGA.   The availability of a 64-bit host space is required by IPv6, not optional.

And those of us who don't want or need SEND/CGA, we are then forbidden
from routing on more than 64 bits?

I stand by my claim that this particular ship sailed long ago. Routers
route on the full 128 bits. I don't believe Cisco, Juniper etc. are
about to change their products to route on only the most significant
64 bits.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no