Help with DHCPv6 client-identifiers

scott_stone at trendmicro.com scott_stone at trendmicro.com
Thu Nov 17 22:03:33 UTC 2011

I'm having a lot of trouble finding relevant information on this online, so I'm going to ask you guys.. :)

I have several thousand machines receiving static host reservations with DHCPv4 currently.  ie,

host myhostname.domainname {

               hardware ethernet 00:50:56:DE:AD:BE;

               fixed-address 10.0.0.1;

               option host-name "myhostname.domainname";

}

... simple, right?  OK, now we want to use DHCPv6 as well as DHCPv4.  It seems that the dhcp client identifiers for DHCPv6 are *arbitrary*.  Is there no way to know ahead of time what they would be, since they're not mapped to anything uniquely identifiable on the machine (ie, MAC address)?  Do I need to have someone manually investigate all of these hosts to find their client identifiers or is there something I'm missing here...?

Scott Stone <scott_stone at trendmicro.com>

TREND MICRO EMAIL NOTICE
The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.