multiple relay agents between a client and an Option 82 server

jeffrey j donovan donovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Wed Nov 9 01:54:30 UTC 2011

On Nov 8, 2011, at 3:33 AM, Ingen Schenau, Jeroen van (ICTS) wrote:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 05:41:56PM +0200, Sergey Lukin wrote:
>   Dear all,
>   I'm trying to configure network with multiple relay agents between a
>   client and an Option 82 server. (I'm using 2 identical switches)
>   In the documentation on my switch HP ProCurve 2900 it is written
>   Note: In networks with multiple relay agents between a client and an
>   Option 82 server, append can be used only if the server supports
>   multiple Option 82 fields in a client request. [...]

- whats the problem again,.. i missed some of the details.

> Regards,
>
> Jeroen van Ingen
> ICT Service Centre
> University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands

to get back to your original question about multiple relays.,
simply point your switches towards the DHCP server. for each "vlan",  that does not have a server on the local broadcast set your option 82 towards your DHCP server. just like a default route, a switch may have a default relay.
then provide the info the client requires via dhcpd.conf

-j