DHCP option 26 (MTU)

Carl Williams carlw at mcsr-labs.org
Wed Nov 2 14:50:17 UTC 2011

Hi All,

  I have set the DHCP Client to request option 26 and configured an ISC
DHCP server to respond with DHCP 26 with specified MTU.

  I used a MAC OS version 10.6.4 and added option 26 to the default list
for dhcp client to request in the file:
/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/IPConfiguration.bundle/Contents/Resourc
es/IPConfiguration.xml

   My MACBOOK Air (Lion) has no such file and I can't figure out how to do
it on the Lion OS.

   But on the MACOS 10.6.4 I can see from the wireshark files that option
26 with the MTU that I set in server is in fact
Being sent via DHCP OFFER and DHCP ACK.  But the interface that DHCP is
configured on - en0 - is not setting the MTU as specified according
To the DHCP response.

   I am wondering what OS have what behavior and handle this option.  This
is not so clear.

   I also want information on how to set this on Windows 7 or some version
of windows - the registry setup is complicated and I tried it
But no MTU request (option 26) is being made by the windows box despite me
setting up a registry key for option 26 for dhcp.  Perhaps I need
To trigger it some how or do some extra stuff there - not sure.

  But also any other information on dhcp option 26 on any os would be
useful.

Carl