dhclient removes current IP on interface ignoring valid lease

Larry Brown larry.brown at dimensionnetworks.com
Fri May 13 13:39:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 17:04 -0400, Larry Brown wrote:
> >From what I've read I have been under the impression that the dhcpd
> server does not respond the dhclient will go through the leases file
> looking for a valid lease.  I configured the server to give out an
> extremely long lease so that these clients can go without hearing from
> the server.  So I am at a loss as to why dhclient isn't using the lease
<snip>

</snip>
> dhclient[3978]: No DHCPOFFERS received.
> dhclient[3978]: Trying recorded lease 192.168.3.2
> dhclient[3978]: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong here?  How can I overcome this issue
> when the dhcpd server goes away?  By design it will be going away as
> this is definitely not a static network environment.

OK So my next step to try and figure this out is to compile the latest
code and work with its client.  The dhclient I've been working with was
compiled by Redhat.  The size of the Redhat dhclient is 563k.  After
building my own from the latest stable release from the ISC site I am
getting dhclient that is 4.7M.  So I figure at a minimum Redhat probably
stripped some of the debugging code to optimize theirs but ~8 times the
size gives me the impression there is a significant difference.  Plus i
believe the Redhat version supports ldap which I did not enable in this
latest version.

The RH version is 4.1.1-18.P1
The latest I just compiled is 4.2.1.P1

To compile I left the defaults using "./configure" & "make"

I know I'm kind of stabbing in the dark here but in case there is some
simple optimization I can use to get closer to 563k it is important.  I
looked for any kind of option from configure such as --strip but didn't
see any.

TIA

Larry