DHCP server on a different subnet

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Thu May 12 07:58:50 UTC 2011

--On 12 May 2011 08:05:44 +0100 Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> But I'm not entirely sure what this gets anyone, what sort of routing
> device doesn't have a BOOTP/DHCP Relay Agent ?

They do have one, but I am trying to stop using them. This is cloud
infrastructure, where one tries to decentralize the services as far
as possible. "On the same subnet", "on the same network" should all
be read with "packets turn up and appear as if they are" prefixed.
What I am doing is distributing the dhcp service to thousands of
instances of more lightweight processes (599 lines of code rather
than 575,050 lines of code) - early tests indicate it works just fine.

--
Alex Bligh