FW: ISC DHCP and WDS..... help

Ingen Schenau, Jeroen van (ICTS) j.vaningenschenau at utwente.nl
Thu Mar 31 15:19:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 06:37 -0600, Dawn Cseh wrote:
> I am trying very hard to get ISC DHCP to support WDS.  Here is the
> environment:
>
> WDS running on W2008 PR2
> Client (XP) is on the same subnet as the WDS server
> ISC DHCP 4.1 is on a RHEL box on a different subnet.

> The client has no problem PXE booting when the DHCP server is on the
> WDS server.  There isn’t a firewall/router between the client and the
> WDS server and just to be safe, the firewall between the client and
> the DHCP server has the ip helper address for both the DHCP server and
> the WDS server.
>
> Has anyone run into this?  Anyone have any suggestions?  I have to
> believe someone has ISC DHCP with WDS?

Here's a slightly sanitized version of what we are using:

class "WDS" {
  # Only match PXE clients
  match if (substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
"PXEClient");
  next-server 192.168.1.100;
  filename "Boot\\x86\\wdsnbp.com";
  log(info, concat("Client ", binary-to-ascii(16,8,":", hardware), "
classed as WDS client. Relay was ", binary-to-ascii(10,8,".", packet(24,
}

We actually have several PXE servers and use subclassing to tie each
network to a specific PXE server, but in general the above should work.

Regards,

Jeroen van Ingen
ICT Service Centre
University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands