netreg Revisited

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 22 16:27:25 UTC 2011

	Some years ago, Carnegie Mellon University built a
clever use of dhcp and DNS called netreg to authenticate clients
who wanted to connect to their networks. It looks like nobody
has done much to it since about 2005 and there is no mention of
failover or omapi. All updates are done the old fashioned-way.
Modify dhcpd.conf. Stop the server. Say a prayer and restart
dhcpd.

	We've been asked to investigate netreg so I am asking
whether there is a modernized version that exists and makes use
of omapi for dynamic updates.

	The original idea was that each network had a small pool
of dynamic leases with very short lifetimes. A client is sent to
the authentication server and, if approved, he gets put in to
the known pool. By using omapi, he could also be given a bootP
entry if the magic between authentication and approval can do
that.
	We are basically looking to make sure we don't re-envent
any good wheels that have already been proven to roll.

	Thanks for all constructive ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer