parse problem with pool balance statements

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Mar 15 14:47:41 UTC 2011

On 03/16/11 00:45, jeffrey j donovan wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Ana Gallardo Gómez wrote:
>
>> max-lease-misbalance 15;
>> max-lease-ownership 10;
>
> For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
> /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.primary line 36: expecting number.
> max-lease-misbalance
>
> this should be for secondary config, not needed for primary.
> google sent me this http://www.madboa.com/geek/dhcp-failover/

madboa.com page you reference is 6 years old. I have use it many times
in the past and it describes a nice basic failover config. However, it
predates the current pool balancing algorithm, so it doesn't mention any
of these settings:

     max-lease-misbalance 15;
     max-lease-ownership 10;
     min-balance 60;
     max-balance 3600;

Since these are the default values anyway, you could just comment them
out. A useful way of debugging these kind of things is to comment out
the lines that give an error, even if they look right, one at a time.
Eventually things will either work or it will become apparent which line
is causing the problem.

Sometimes the parse engine trips up on a previous line, but doesn't
report a problem until a following line.

--
regards,
-glenn