Request ignored (not authoritative) to only one client

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Sat Jul 30 12:09:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Jerimiah Cole wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 15:16 -0500, David Forrest wrote:

>>> No, that's the entire config.
>>>
>>> FWIW, if I add an authoritative statement globally or in the subnet, I
>>> get "wrong network" instead.
>>>
>>> Jerimiah
>>>
>> Humph, that's expected if a client asks for the wrong network.
>
> Right, but the client isn't asking for the wrong network, which is why
> I'm stumped.
>
> Jerimiah

What IP is the client's DHCPDISCOVER packet asking for?  (Option 50)  If
the requested IP is not available on the configured subnets, then a
DHCPNAK is sent and the client should reset and request a new IP.  It
could be that your client device is not set up for this procedure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol#DHCP_discovery

It would appear from the information you have given that you are having a
client/server configuration disjuncture.  If the device can be set up with
a fixed IP, you might try setting it up with an IP in your configured
subnet and then when it gets assigned that address (pick an unused IP from
your dhcpd.leases file) you can then add the reserved keyword to the
dhcpd.leases file and no other device can then get that IP.  I have done
the same with some of my devices and it works quite well. I do that
because I prefer that my servers have static IPs for administration
purposes.

If your client device does not honor the DHCPNAK packet then I am finished
with my knowledge base.

Dave

--
David Forrest