AW: DHCP configuration on RHEL6

Hua Zhong Wang wanghuaz at cn.ibm.com
Thu Jul 21 02:23:52 UTC 2011

The "static" in my previous mail means we put a IP into the lease file with
a host declaration and a fixed-address, not mean the client with a static
ip.  This IP is in the middle of a dynamic range which is setting in
dhcpd.conf.

Giving the lease a long expired time is another choice for us, but there is
still an error window if the client indeed down for a long time.

So we would still want to know what exactly will happen if we put the
dynamic ip which is in a dynamic ip range to be delared in the lease file
by omapi?

Best Regards,

Wang Huazhong(王华忠)

IBM CSTL HPC System Management Development
Tel: 86-10-82452279
Email: wanghuaz at cn.ibm.com
Address: Ring Building 28,ZhongGuanCun Software Park,No.8 Dong Bei Wang
West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193

             Glenn Satchell
             <glenn.satchell at u
             niq.com.au>                                                To
             Sent by:                  Users of ISC DHCP
             dhcp-users-bounce         <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
             s                                                          cc
             +wanghuaz=cn.ibm.
             com at lists.isc.org                                     Subject
                                       Re: AW: DHCP configuration on RHEL6

             2011-04-14 19:17

             Please respond to
             Users of ISC DHCP
             <dhcp-users at lists
                 .isc.org>

Putting a static assignment in the middle of a dynamic range is not a
good plan. There are a number of ways that the dynamic ip could be
re-assigned to a different client, for example the static client has
icmp blocked by local firewall, so the dhcp server can't tell if the ip
is already in use. If you have several thousand clients, then managing
them becomes cumbersome.

The way to ensure a dynamic IP is never reassigned is to ensure that
there are always enough free IPs to cover the expected number of clients.

What if you just used a really long lease time, maybe a few months or a
year? That way the client would need to be down for a really long time
before the address was re-assigned.

--
regards,
-glenn