Reservation best practices?

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Tue Jul 12 18:36:05 UTC 2011

> After reading around, it looks like reservations don't work that way in ISC DHCP.  My understanding is that the reserved address cannot be in the lease pool.  Unfortunately, these printers have already received addresses in the pools of their respective subnets.

Honestly I did it that way for years (not knowing any different) and it
was never a problem.

That said, the easiest safe and correct thing is to just remove those IP
addresses from the pool.  If you had:

range 10.22.50.2 10.22.50.250;

And you wanted to take .100 out of it, then you replace it with two lines:

range 10.22.50.2 10.22.50.99;
range 10.22.50.101 10.22.50.250;