Unable to Ping / Shared Network

Dave Brenner david at toledotel.com
Wed Jul 6 16:58:15 UTC 2011

On 7/6/2011 9:10 AM, Barry Stear wrote:

> I have my isc-dhcp-server setup as a shared network with two subnets that
> are using the same interface (eth0). ETH0 is connected to a 5 port switch
> which connects Linksys router. The problem I have is that I cannot ping
> anything on the internet when I receive an IP address in the 192.168.100.X
> subnet. I am unable to ping 192.168.1.2 from the 192.168.100.X subnet.
>
>   I tried changing the 'options routers' for the 192.168.100.X subnet to
> 192.168.1.2 and that didn't make a difference.

If you have two subnets, then you need two gateways.  This is
accomplished with a router that can have multiple IPs assigned to a
given interface.  If your Linksys can do that, great.  Just have it
answer on both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.100.1 and call it good.  If it
can't do that and you don't have a compelling reason to use a second
subnet, then keep things simple and ditch the second subnet.

Dave Brenner - david at toledotel.com
The Toledo Telephone Company, Inc.