Fwd: Re: How can I configure a DHCP server to assign addresses based on the OS that is running Solved maybe!

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Sun Jan 16 17:29:00 UTC 2011

On 1/15/2011 11:45 PM, the Radio wrote:
> It seems that you assign only reserved addresses. Did you simply try
> to lower
>   default-lease-time 14400;
>   max-lease-time 172800;
>
> to, let's say 10 mn at most (time to switch to another building and
> reconnect)
> then, the previous lease shall be freed...

Thanks Radio for your thoughts! You know, it is a worthwhile thing to
try, and so obvious that I overlooked it! LOL But I do have a bit of
reservation, I think this approach would be OK in a SOHO or small
business environment, but not so sure if it would be a good idea in a
larger enterprise environment with hundreds of users. But ours is not
terribly large, and with fast networks and processors these days, it
probably won't have a huge impact on the network bandwidth to serve dhcp
requests more frequently....

     Marc...