Allocating fixed IPv6 addresses to hosts with multiple NICs

John.Gibbins at csiro.au John.Gibbins at csiro.au
Fri Jan 14 02:47:22 UTC 2011

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the link to the previous thread (I'm fairly new to this list).  I agree with most of the complaints in the thread, but have accepted that we need to live with DHCPv6 as it is designed.  Any change isn't going to happen in any useful timeframe.

I'm trying to make DHCPv6 work as I think it was intended to work (not how I'd like it to work).  One of the messages in the thread (https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-February/008092.html, extract below) suggested allocating a dynamic lease and then extracting the DUID from the lease database.  This clearly identifies that the dynamic lease assignment is based on the IA-NA which consists of the IAID concatenated with the DUID.  What I want to do is assign fixed IP addresses based on this same concatenation and not just the DUID.

To me this seems fundamental to DHCPv6, so I find it hard to believe that ISC DHCPD doesn't support it.  Can someone confirm that this is not supported or tell me what I've missed?

Thanks
johng

--
John Gibbins
IT Security Operations (and IPv6 Evangelist)