Old Tired Question: 'Not configured to listen on any interfaces'

Matt Causey matt.causey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 18:33:38 UTC 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:38, Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I've seen a lot of questions about 'not configured to listen on any
>> interfaces' but I'm still not clear on something.  Is it a hard
>> requirement that dhcpd.conf contain a subnet that corresponds to the
>> subnet of the interface that's meant to be serving dhcpd?
>>
>> We have this:
>>
>> /usr/bin/dhcpd -cf /var/etc/dhcpd.conf -lf /var/dhcpd.leases -f eth0
>>
>> and of course it says:
>>
>> Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
>>
>> because we don't have an eth0 subnet in the config.  Well, I don't
>> want to serve dhcp on eth0's subnet.  What I did as a workaround was
>
> just have a blank entry for eth0 - no pool or range. then it wont serve

That's what we used to get it working.  I was just looking for another way, because as it is I'll need to extend the software that we use to generate the dhcpd config.

Previously we always had a subnet local to the server in the config.  Some infra requirements changed and now we no longer try to run dhcp on the server's subnet.

If it's a hard requirement for reasons that are buried in legacy that's fine.  I just thought I'd ask before engineering around it.  :-)

--
Matt