full socket buffers

Friesen, Don SSBC:EX Don.Friesen at gov.bc.ca
Fri Feb 11 16:56:27 UTC 2011

>I already tried to capture the traffic just before restarting the
>process when there is the
>problem with UDP loss but no suspect traffic was noticed. I agree
>there must be some
>trigger event which cause the kernel to fill the socket buffer and
>start dropping packets
>but it is suspect to me that restarting the dhcpd process solves the issue ...

   So if the buffer is full of normal packets, and the arrival rate is normal, then either DHCPD isn't pulling them off the stack or the OS isn't passing them on.  Is your DHCPD logging any traffic activity? What versions and patch levels are you at for OS and DHCP? If that was supplied earlier, I missed it.

Don.