full socket buffers

Mirek Lauš mirek at admino.cz
Fri Feb 11 15:08:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Friesen, Don SSBC:EX
<Don.Friesen at gov.bc.ca> wrote:

>>Yes. Loosing incoming UDP datagrams which causes DHCPD process to starve.
>>But restarting DHCPD process solves the situation ...
>
> Is it the system buffer or a buffer in DHCPD?  I'd typically run a snoop to snap a few thousand packets to a capture file and then take a closer look at the packet content.  But that's UNIX.  And that's me, always doing things the slow hard way.

How can I find out? The 'netstat -s -p udp' shows dropped packets due
to full socket buffer
which is causing DHCPD to not answer to DHCPDISCOVERs.

Snooping/storing traffic would cause high disk I/O and probable influence
DHCPD performance. It could be a week before the issue occur :-(

-ml