Is there any protection mechanism for a spamming dhcp client?

Jürgen Dietl juergen.dietl at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 3 09:41:11 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am new to this mailing list. So I see a big "Hello World" and I hope to
meet interesting people here.

I have the following question:

I am running ISC DHCP and BIND latest Version and I have a printer that even
if it owns an IP-Address it makes thousands of DHCP-Requests per seconds.
Till somebody powered off the printer the dhcp server got 590.000 dhcp
requests. Of course the pool was empty. I know I can prevent such things
with enabling dhcp snooping on network equipment but is there any mechanism
that I can do some protection on the server. For example if the server would
notice that it is always the same client that asked for an address it should
say NO and ignore the client, or put him in a database to refuse any action
etc. Is there a way to implement this? Is there any mechanisem?

thanx a lot,
cheers,
Juergen