How to configure the DHCP to make a priority between the subnets inside same shared network

Tim Gavin livewire98801 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 21:53:28 UTC 2011

>>     The "right way" to solve your problem is break your network in
>>     several broadcast domains (e.g. VLANs), and assign a subnet range
>>     to each broadcast domain.
>
>     No, the "right way" is to have a big enough block to handle all
>     your clients.  If that means segregating your client base into
>     separate VLANs, then sure, but my ultimate solution was to get a
>     bigger allocation of IPs.  Maybe neither one would work for
>     someone else.  Or, like my example, my final solution was to get a
>     bigger block, but I had to deal with two blocks on one VLAN for a
>     while until that happened.
>
> Which means that there's no "right way" :-)
> But surely there are many wrong...
Okay, I said that wrong. . . your 'right way' is a subset of the REAL
'right way' which is to end up with a subnet big enough to handle  your
clients.  Either a big enough block, or multiple VLANs with the right
number of client machines for the block assigned to it.

So, we're both right, I'm just more right than you :-D