How to configure the DHCP to make a priority between the subnets inside same shared network

Tim Gavin livewire98801 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:17:51 UTC 2011

On 02/01/2011 11:54 AM, José Queiroz wrote:

> 2011/2/1 Tim Gavin <livewire98801 at gmail.com
> <mailto:livewire98801 at gmail.com>>
>
>     What's wrong with that, and why would it break?
>

> Each broadcast domain should correspond to a subnet range. If you have
> several subnets on the same broadcast domain, the DHCP server cannot
> tell apart which request came from which subnet.

The DHCP server doesn't need to know where the request is coming from. .
. if it knows, the request should be a 'renew', and should renew the
address no matter which block it was assigned from.

> The "right way" to solve your problem is break your network in several
> broadcast domains (e.g. VLANs), and assign a subnet range to each
> broadcast domain.

No, the "right way" is to have a big enough block to handle all your
clients.  If that means segregating your client base into separate
VLANs, then sure, but my ultimate solution was to get a bigger
allocation of IPs.  Maybe neither one would work for someone else.  Or,
like my example, my final solution was to get a bigger block, but I had
to deal with two blocks on one VLAN for a while until that happened.

> Another way to deal with your problem is create fixed address
> assignments, to the machines in all subnet ranges, except one. This
> last one can work from the address pool, that now is unique.

In my example it was an ISP network. . . fixed assignments work in a
corporate campus, but not on an ISP network, at least not well.