Compiling dhcp for a specific kernel

Mukund Deshpande sai.mukund.sagar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:08:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

When i compile dhcp and check its file format

Machine 1:

[root at localhost server]# uname -r
2.6.9-89.ELsmp
[root at localhost server]# file dhcpd
dhcpd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.6.22, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

The above dhcpd is a cross-compiled binary... I need to run this binary on
a linux kernel version 2.6.31 on an arm box.(which is failing from a long
time :( because of CONFIGFILTER error)

Machine 2:Another example of the same is

[root at WIPRO-0112 server]# uname -r
2.6.27.21.....
[root at WIPRO-0112 server]# file dhcpd
dhcpd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

In above two examples...dhcp is compiled for GNU/Linux 2.6.22 and
GNU/Linux 2.2.5,  where as kernel versions of linux on which I compiled
dhcp are totally different.

I want to know where it got this version number from..So that I can
cross-compile dhcp for GNU/Linux 2.6.31 specifically.

P.S:DHCP version i am using is the latest.
--
Regards,
Mukund