Dynamic update to the wrong DNS zone file - Bind View - dhcp-client-identifier - multiple network cards with multiple differents subnets

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 12:45:55 UTC 2011

Flex Banana wrote:

>The goals is simple:
>
>1. Distribute addresses with DHCP
>2. Update client's hostname with dynamic DNS based on their identifier
>3. View the contents of zone only in the connected subnet, not all subnets

Given that you want to use the same domain in the different views,
then I'd be tempted to run independent instances of both DHCP and DNS
for each subnet.

Three instances of DNS is fairly easy since you can bind each one to
a different address on one interface.
You can't do that with DHCP since it needs to receive broadcasts.
With some restrictions I think you can make ISC DHCP do it - but you
need to recompile it with different options set (dunno what, but they
prevent it directly dealing with packets on the interface) AND all
requests must come from remote networks via a relay agent set to
unicast the requests to the server.

--
Simon Hobson