maximum lease times?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 06:48:01 UTC 2011

Alan Buxey wrote:

>sorry for a rather bland question but does anyone know
>of any possible issues with slightly longer lease times and
>OS support?

I used to run leases of several weeks at my last job.

Interestingly I had one device (a printer) which would not take a
lease and I had to manually configure it. I found out later that it
required a lease of at least 2 years before it would accept it !

In principal, the longest lease possible at the moment is about 27
years - time "ends" for Unix type systems in 2038 when the 32 bit
counter rolls over.

--
Simon Hobson