Is there anything new on the DHCP Failover Horizon?

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Apr 17 14:38:04 UTC 2011

Something like this will do the partner down. In a previous life I used
a cron job to run a ping every 30 minutes and run this script if the
ping failed. Partner down doesn't have to be immediate, just needs to be
done before you run out of free leases (so the time will depend on the
average number of free leases, lease duration, and how often new clients
come along. "name" below is the failover peer name in dhcpd.conf.

#!/bin/sh
# set local serve into partner-down mode
omshell << EOF
server localhost
key itsomkey *<super-duper-secret key here>*
connect
new failover-state
set name = "name"
open