DHCP configuration on RHEL6

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Apr 13 16:42:14 UTC 2011

--On 14 April 2011 00:28:58 +0800 Hua Zhong Wang <wanghuaz at cn.ibm.com>
wrote:

> So we are trying to find a way to gurantee the ip address on clients will
> never be changed. Static ip address with a host declaration in lease file
> or dhcpd.conf could help it

What we do in a slightly similar situation is have dhcpd query an
SQL database - patch here:
  http://blog.alex.org.uk/2011/02/25/adding-sql-support-to-dhcpd-part-3/

As far as dhcpd is concerned, the IP addresses are static. But you can
then manipulate the SQL database as you add and remove your clients.
You could achieve automatic removal by combining the SQL query
with an update to put in NOW() into the SQL table, and removing
leases that had not been queried for (e.g.) 5 days.

You will, however, need to do your own IP address management (again
it is possible to do this in SQL through creative use of triggers
though we don't do this).

--
Alex Bligh