DHCP subnet

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 12:08:39 UTC 2011

pat wrote:

>Is there a way to determine the scope/subnet information the dhcp
>server would offer , actually iam working on some code so that if
>the client address is from DHCP server A i will match in a
>intermediate box and route the client traffic to destination via
>route A, and if the subnet offered belongs to DHCP server B i will
>match in the intermediate box and route the client to destination
>via route B. both the destination are same for client but the path
>they choose will vary based on the ip address, i can't predefine the
>route in the intermediate box i have to do mapping prior routing can
>anyone help, the intermediate box could be dhcp relay also

If I read this right, you have a relay box of some sort, and you want
to somehow second guess the IP address the client is going to get -
in advance of the server allocating it ?

Put simply, without complete visibility of the internal state of the
server then it is not determinable in the general case. You would
have to have a complete knowledge of the state of all leases/unused
addresses to be able to take a good guess - and then it's not
guaranteed.

Perhaps if you could describe what you are trying to achieve then
someone might be able to suggest something.

--
Simon Hobson