Version 4.2.0 disappeared

Paul Ebersman ebersman at isc.org
Thu Sep 16 16:50:25 UTC 2010

F.Zwarts> The last few weeks I am trying to make the dhcp version 4.2.0
F.Zwarts> work
[...]
F.Zwarts> Today I discovered that 4.2.0 has disappeared from this list.

F.Zwarts> Is there any information why this has happened?  Is it still
F.Zwarts> longer qualified for a production release, or should I try the
F.Zwarts> previous version (4.1.1-P1)?

You've just hit our web site in a transitional period. Previously, the
main project pages (such as www.isc.org/software/dhcp) have had all
releases currently supported. However, we've found that most folks seem
to prefer us recommending just one or two versions, rather than leaving
it to them to try to figure out which of 3-5 releases is most
appropriate for them.

The decision was made to have just 1-2 releases on the main project
page, which are the releases we feel are the best compromise of new
features versus time tested in the field and are the most suitable for
most large production environments.

You can still find all current releases via our Downloads section
(filterable by project and type of release):

  <http://www.isc.org/downloads/all>

DHCP 4.2.0 is a production and supported release. It is also our most
cutting edge release. You should read the release notes for 4.2.0 and
4.1.1-P1 and see if you need the additional features 4.2.0 offers. If
they don't seem appropriate to you and time in the field is more
critical to you, use 4.1.1-P1. If the new features seem useful to you,
use 4.2.0.