"Peer holds all free leases"

Pooja Gada GPooja at novell.com
Mon Sep 6 10:47:46 UTC 2010

Jiri,
I am currently using 3.0.7 . Will upgrade to 3.1.2 and test this issue.

Thanks,
Pooja

>>> Jiri Popelka <jpopelka at redhat.com> 8/26/2010 5:09 PM >>>
On 08/26/2010 01:09 PM, Pooja Gada wrote:

Hi ,
I have been observing certain issues with the failover set up i currently have.

I have been hitting this particular issue when i set the Split Value to 255.

Initially the Address Allocation for the clients works fine , and the primary and the failover server are always in sync.

Now when i bring down the primary server , secondary is not able to allocate all of the IP addresses which are free in the pool, after a certain time , it logs the message
"Peer holds all free leases".

 And i am certain that there are certain IP addresses which are in free state and hence can be allocated , but are not allocated by the secondary server.
Now when i bring up the primary server , the primary is able to allocate all of the remaining IP addresses.

Can you let me know what may be causing this issue ?

Thanks,
Pooja

What is the version of dhcp you are using ?
This problem has been fixed in dhcp-3.1.2.
See
http://www.isc.org/files/release-notes/31esv.html
for Changes since 3.1.1
* A partner-down failover server no longer emits 'peer holds all free leases' if it is able to newly-allocate one of the peer's leases.

Jiri Popelka