Putting iPads in their own IP pool?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Oct 8 20:18:04 UTC 2010

Miroslav Lauš wrote:
> Unfortunetly, iPads does not identify itself using dhcp option 60:
> betelgeuse:~ mirek$ sudo tcpdump -vvvv -s0 -ni en1 port 67 or port 68
> [...good dump information...]

Hmm...  That is unfortunate.  But it does look like they send the
hostname by defailt.

> 	    Hostname Option 12, length 9: "beetlepad"

And here I see in the logs lines such as:

  Oct  8 14:02:23 fc dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 172.17.31.59 from c8:bc:c8:2e:49:46 (Elijahs-iPad) via eth0

And the dhcpd.leases file shows lines:
  client-hostname "Laura-iPad";

By convention here the hostnames contain the string "iPad" in them.
That is good enough as a 99% solution.  Again, a false positive is
better than a false negative.  I agree that chasing ethernet addresses
is not wonderful.  Using the client supplied hostname seems like a
good way to go.

Looking through the docs to try to determine how to match on the
hostname...

?? class "ipad" {
??   match option client-hostname;
?? }