DHCP Redundancy

Nathan McDavit-Van Fleet nmcdavit at alcor.concordia.ca
Mon Nov 29 14:55:09 UTC 2010

> Be warned that only HALF of the address space is "automatically" taken
> over by the surviving DHCP process (assuming the failover team consists
> of 2 servers) :
> "If one server fails, the other server will continue to renew leases
> out of the pool, and will allocate new addresses out of the roughly
> half of available addresses that it had when communications with the
> other server were lost. "

Is this true? Doesn't this make the fail-over rather limited then? I imagine
on a high churn network it wouldn't take long before the server is no longer
able to supply enough IP addresses to clients (having only legacy clients on
the other half). I wish we had the address space to have a 2x address-client
ratio but we don't.

Is there a way, in the case where a server is failed/off to enable the other
as just a regular functional server?

Also I was surprised to come in this Monday and find that my server was
still rejecting some bind updates from the peer; because the "incoming
update was less critical than the outgoing one." I thought this was part of
the results of a failover? But since the services have not stopped for over
72 hours I imagine that this sort of mis match would have been ironed out by
now?

Nathan Van Fleet