DHCP Redundancy

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Nov 27 19:57:51 UTC 2010

> Is there no database backend for leases?  I may be wrong, but I think
> that would greatly simplify redundancy AND failover.

There is no official database backend for ISC dhcp today. There are
patches, see

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2010-September/011948.html

Note that I have no idea how these patches work with DHCP failover.

Note also that having a database backend for the DHCP config file (low
update frequency) and having a database backend for the actual leases
(high update frequency), are two very different things. The leases
database is generally disk IO heavy, and would similarly be expected
to put a significant IO load on a database system.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no