DHCP Redundancy

Soren Aalto soren.aalto at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 17:57:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> If you run two servers on a network, then you must do one of two things :
>
> 1) Run them as a failover pair so they can manage one set of client
> addresses between them.
>
> or
>
> 2) Run them with separate and non-overlapping address ranges so that they
> don't interfere with each other.

We did that on our campus, and it didn't seem to work.  The one
time we ran out of disk space on one of the DHCP servers, we just
had machines start losing their leases & needing to be rebooted.

It's also a giant mess to maintain -- as any static assignments have
to be put in the config files on both machines.

--
Soren Aalto
Director: ICT