best practice for moving subnets?

Bjarne Blichfeldt bjb at jndata.dk
Wed Nov 17 06:42:40 UTC 2010

Tom Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to move a few subnets from one dhcpd failoverpair to another dhcpd
> failoverpair and was asked if I could do that without causing the dynamic
> clients to loose their connection to the network (or their ip address).
>
> My question: Is there a best practice for such a task?

I think I would :

add the subnets to the new failoverpair
change helper addresses
change the config for the relevant subnets on the old pair to include :
	# 1 = DHCPDISCOVER
             if option dhcp-message-type = 1 {
                        deny booting;
              }
            deny after 4 2010/12/28 16:00:00;
or something suitable.

The thing is, even if you change helper address, the clients will continue to use the old dhcp serves if there are
network connectivity.
Only discoveries are sent as broadcast make use of the helper address. DHCPINFORM, DHCPREQUEST will be sent directly to the previous
used dhcp sever.

Regards,
Bjarne Blichfeldt