Pools and IPv6

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Nov 15 20:11:48 UTC 2010

> >Am I then forced to have a single point of failure?
> >Or is there a way to propagate leases to a backup server other than the
> >failover mechanism available for IPv4?
>
> Well I suppose the obvious answer is that you have much more address
> space and so it shouldn't be a problem to have 2 (or more) servers
> with non-overlapping ranges - each sufficient for the entire client
> base.

My thoughts too. Presumably the clients use dynamic addresses, and
since they renew at around half lease time, they still have plenty
of time left to change to a new address from the other server.

I don't really see the big need for failover with IPv6, except for
the possible DDNS issue. But then IPv6 DNS is another ball game in
the first place (not obvious that reverse DNS make much sense, for
instance).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no