DHCP 4.2.0-P1 issue

Matej Serc mailing at tam.si
Wed Nov 3 00:34:11 UTC 2010

Dear list,

I tried to install 4.2.0-P1 from source on a FreeBSD 7.2 system and when
using the same configuration and lease file as they were in 3.0.x, I got the
message "Listening on" and also when I did sockstat I saw that it was
listening. Although there is much traffic on the server, there were
absolutely no messages coming on or out. Although the process was running,
it was eating a lot of CPU, CPU time for it was increasing rapidly - I
haven't seen that in 3.0.x and not in current 3.1.2 (which I installed
later).

After changing nothing (no changed routes, firewall rules etc.), just
installed 3.1.2 with the same config and the lease file as I got from 3.0.x,
things started working and are working as they should.

My primary reason for trying to upgrade 3.0.x was because after about a year
of successful operation we got Core Dumped few days ago. Since I want to
eliminate any software reasons for failure I am first trying to upgrade.

Hopefully this "report" will be of some use to anyone, I am also looking
forward to any ideas and replies about possible reasons for this behaveour.

Thanks!
Matej