DHCP over PPP - or how to use sockets instead of BPF?

Patrik Lahti plahti at qnx.com
Thu May 13 13:29:36 UTC 2010

On 12/05/10 05:58 PM, Sassy Natan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Can u please tell me how can I make my DHCP server bind to a ppp interface?

Hi,

AFAIU, the ISC DHPC implementation does not support PPP interfaces today.

On this thread in the email list (and a few other places) there has been
discussion about how support for PPP interfaces can be introduced. It is
a little complicated for various reasons, as you have read.

However, the usual way to run IPv4 over PPP is *not* to use DHCPv4.
Instead IPCP, which is part of PPP, is usually used to acquire an IPv4
address and various other configuration parameters such as DNS servers
etc. I suggest you look into that option.

The corresponding functionality is not present in IPv6CP, and instead
you're supposed to use DHCPv6 on PPP interfaces. I have proposed a patch
to ISC DHCP to enable DHCPv6 support on PPP interfaces.

HTH,
/P