dhcpd stops issuing leases with sporadic "no available billing: lease limit reached in all matching classes"

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon May 10 19:42:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 11:02 -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 16:20 +1000, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> > Can you post your dhcpd.conf and messages from the logs?
>
> Here's a sanitized dhcpd.conf:
> http://wiktel.net/rlaager/dhcpd-sanitized.conf
>
> Things in ALL CAPS and MAC addresses of all zeros are the bits that have
> been changed. Also, sections of duplicated information have been reduced
> to one example followed by a comment saying "More similar entries...".

Further testing today revealed that enabling "authoritative" on
dsl-TOWN15 made the problem occur* within 2 to 10 minutes of dhcpd
startup. We commented out "authoritative" again and it was fine for 20
minutes. We uncommented it and the problem recurred twice again with 20
minutes.

Note that the problem is NOT occurring on dsl-TOWN15, but in other
networks.

We then turned on authoritative globally. The problem would reproducibly
occur within 1 minute of dhcpd startup.

We've disabled authoritative completely for now to hopefully work around
this problem. But we really should be running with authoritative
globally. What should I do next?

Thanks,
Richard

* The "problem", again, is that we get log entries saying "no available
billing: lease limit reached in all matching classes" and those clients
fail to receive leases. Restarting dhcpd will fix the problem for a
while.