Leasing addresses from a delegated prefix

Aaron Murrihy aaron_m at aaron-m.co.nz
Mon May 10 00:00:33 UTC 2010

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I should have informed you of the versions I was using. The ISP
machine is version 4.2.0b1, and my CPE machine is using 4.1.1 as that
version has been ported to openWRT.

Yes, the dhcp-options manpage does say that about "option dhcp6.ia-pd
string;", however after reading this post to a mailing list at
http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2009-December/002768.html I
believe that leaving it with this explanation was an oversight.

The manpage in dhcp-4.2.0b1 describes this option in this way:

 option dhcp6.ia-pd string;

         The  ia-pd option is manufactured by clients and servers to
create a Prefix Delegation binding - to delegate an IPv6 prefix to the
client.  It is not directly edited
         in dhcpd.conf(5) or dhclient.conf(5), but rather is
manufactured and consumed by the software.

But this option is used "to delegate an IPv6 prefix to the client"
which I already have managed to do. This is taken from my
dhclient6.leases file:

lease6 {
  interface "eth1";
  ia-pd 27:00:03:db {
    starts 1273449002;
    renew 0;
    rebind 0;
    iaprefix 2000:1:1:e00::/56 {
      starts 1273449002;
      preferred-life 375;
      max-life 600;
    }
  }
  option dhcp6.client-id 0:1:0:1:13:76:8:b9:0:90:27:0:3:db;
  option dhcp6.server-id 0:1:0:1:13:57:d2:7f:0:b:db:42:0:84;
}

As you can see, I have been delegated the prefix 2000:1:1:e00::/56,
but what I need to do now is run a dhcp server on that machine which
can take a /64 from this prefix and start subleasing addresses to end
hosts.

Has this functionality been implemented yet, or will my best bet be
either add the functionality to the dhcp server myself or write a
script to parse the lease file and change the dhcpd6.conf file
accordingly?

Thanks for any assistance.

Aaron Murrihy
WAND Group, University of Waikato