Interference between multiple DHCP instances on the same server

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon May 3 14:26:00 UTC 2010

Which interface is used for the outgoing packets is kind of arbitrary,
since they are both on the same subnet. The kernel decides how to route
the outgoing packets through whatever means it uses.

So in this case you have two possible source IPs for the oputgoing
packet, depending on which interface it goes out on. In this situation
using server-identifier lets the dhcp client know which IP to send the
answer back to. Your case here is exactly how we used to do multiple IPs
before IP aliasing was available, so it really is exactly the same case:
two physical interfaces, versus one physical and one virtual.

regards,
-glenn