how to ask a dhcp server to respond a petition only if a condition happens

Lulu GO lulumailgo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 19:00:56 UTC 2010

Hello Simon, thanks for answering. Your are right about the network, that is
how it works, but I can't change any of that, I have to solve the problem of
deciding wich server is better to associate with but I can't add equipment
such as routers or changing too much the way the network was planned to
work. This is a project from my university that was given to me but the
decisions made of how the schools were going to operate was made many time
ago.
I agree with you about the broadcast traffic but I think they thought of
that and bought mikrotik to configure them like routers when they think is
begining to seem necesary.

I was hoping to figure out wich AP the client connect to measuring (with
something like arping or rarping) latency to the server from every AP and
compare it with latency to the laptop's MAC (the MAC I will know it from de
dhcp discover packet).

Then comparing many data from snmp consults I will decide wich server is
optimum, that condition is the one both servers must check before
responding.
I couldn't understand from your reply if the classes you define are in the
dhcpd.conf, and if that the case I think I can use it for the purpose I
need, thanks! I will try it and let you know.

The thing about blocking the clients from the other school or the outdoor
clients is, that is not the solution we were asked to do, in fact they want
the clients to associate to the optimum server despite where they are.

lulu