VLAN class statement

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 18:36:24 UTC 2010

Everitt, Andrew C wrote:

>We have a Cisco network that's configured to place the Cisco phones
>into vlan 2.  When the phones send out a DHCP request the server
>logs reflect the fact its come from vlan 2.  I would like to use the
>fact that all phones are on vlan 2 to populate the phone (VoIP)
>class.
>
>After some research I thought that option code 191 is used by the
>DHCP server for vlan's.  So I set the following class statement up.

You don't need to do any of that - if it's in a different VLAN, then
it's in a different network and the server will take care of things
automagically. That's the same whether they are remote (ie the other
side of a router), or directly attached to the server. Just define
subnets appropriate to the networks in use and it "will just work".

Think of VLANs as like having multiple non-connected switches and
NICs and you'll not be far wrong. In essense, VLANs simply allow the
partitioning to be done inside the switch rather than having multiple
separate switches.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it.
This is NOT the same thing as the printer drivers to load on the
computer - there's no problem there.
If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful -
requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...