Two subnets, one with PXE clients

Osmany osmany at oc.quimefa.cu
Wed Mar 3 16:15:56 UTC 2010

> As I wrote on the 20th Feb :
> >From the way it's phrased, I assume both sets of clients are on the
> >same physical network ? Ie, a machine may boot into PXE and get one
> >address, then boot into Windows with the same network cable and get
> >a different address.
> >
> >If this is the case, then you have a shared network and MUST
> >configure the server accordingly.
>
> You need a shared network declaration :
>
> shared-network "some-random-text" {
>    subnet 10.25.4.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>    }
>
>    subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>    }
> }
>
> Without this declaration, you are telling the server that you have
> two DIFFERENT networks with those IP subnets on them. Internally,
> each subnet is put in a shared network with one member (I guess it's
> easier to do that than to have two code threads depending on
> presence/absence of shared network). You you did in fact have two
> shared networks matching one interface.
>
> By using the shared-network declaration, you are telling the server
> that both IP subnets are on the same physical wire.

Well. my apologies for not typing the shared-network declaration from
the beginning. Now the PXE Client boots perfectly with the IP it's meant
to have, but now I have another problem. Once the PXE client loads, it
begins configuring itself to load the OS and obviously does a
DHCPDISCOVER once again because it is no longer a PXE Client but I find
that the dhcp server assigns an IP from the subnet 10.25.4.0/24 which I
don't want it to have those IPs because the LTSP server does not have
any of those IP's. How can I make the dhcp give the same IP even when
the client changes from PXE to normal.