recording host assignment leases in leases db

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon Mar 1 20:21:50 UTC 2010

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Would reserved leases work for you ?
>
> Only available in the latest versions, you can add the statement
> "reserved;" to a lease and it will then be tied to that client - it
> will not be re-allocated to any other client. Apart from being tied to
> one client, it goes though the normal leases lifecycle and so will
> show active/expired as appropriate.
>
> The only way to set this is to stop the server, edit the leases file
> (add a skeleton lease record if required), and start the server again.

It would work. However, it would involve manually adding the "skeleton
lease" as you mention. This would, unfortunately, create a lot more work
on the provisioning side and would likely result in a less robust
solution than static host entries we use now.

Guess I was remembering incorrectly about the "option" to store these
types of leases in the leases db.
--Blake