Large leases file and long startup time

Friesen, Don SSBC:EX Don.Friesen at gov.bc.ca
Wed Jun 30 13:30:11 UTC 2010

>We're running DHCPd (currently 3.0.5) to serve a bunch of networks that
>are mostly static, some dynamic. At the moment, it's 431 subnets, 1762
>clients. We're currently using 3.0.5 with Masney's LDAP patch, but have
>been having some serious startup time issues - on the order of 5
>minutes. I did some investigation with static configs (compiled exactly
>from what's in LDAP) and the time is more or less the same. It appears
>that the bottleneck is reading the leases file, which is on the order of
>2.3M on our production boxes (with only about 10% max of our clients
>active).

  We run 4.1.1-P1 on a Sun sparc UltraAX-i2 with a 22.5M lease file.
  Our startup time is 20 seconds.

   I'm not sure that there is that much efficiency difference between
versions.  I wonder if there is something about your hardware that is
causing a bottleneck?

Don Friesen
Technical Services
Enterprise-Wide Application Services
Shared Services BC, Technology Solutions
Ministry of Citizens' Services
4000 Seymour Place  -  W311

http://www.sharedservicesbc.gov.bc.ca/
Spike: Everyone's talking to me. No one's talking to each other.