Need help with Avaya IP phones

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 18:27:49 UTC 2010

Phusion wrote:

>Up to this point, I've been programming each IP phone with a static IP
>address and entering the data.
>
>Phone: 192.168.101.x
>Call Server: 192.168.101.10
>Call Server Port: 1719
>Router: 192.168.101.1
>Mask: 255.255.255.0
>File Server: 192.168.1.34
>802.1Q: On
>VLAN ID: 101
>VLAN Test: 300
>
>Now, that we are using IP phones more it would be easier if the phones
>would get DHCP leases. I will also look to see where the DHCP server
>is plugged in respect to the power-over-ethernet switch and IP phones.

Hmm, I'm a bit slow off the mark today ...

It's not something I've done - we haven't bothered segregating our
small installation of IP telephony stuff (we have an Asterisk box and
a few Grandstream and Aastra phones at work). I think what needs to
happen is for the phone to boot on the default VLAN and get a config.
Part of the config will be the VLAN it should be on, and on receiving
that the phone should then switch VLAN and ask for a new
address/config.

If you think about it, if you are dynamically configuring the phones
like this, it doesn't know the VLAN it should be on until it's at
least partially configured.

--
Simon Hobson