Trouble setting up a failover dhcp-server

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Jul 26 05:11:49 UTC 2010

On 07/26/10 02:39, budiw at rootbox.or.id wrote:
>>   Well, one place the "domain-name-servers" are given by name, not by IP.
>>
>> Some clients may be smart enough to reject that because they will never
>> get started, who should resolve those names for them?
>>

> Oh ic, I should replace the line:
>   option domain-name-servers a.ns1.rootbox.or.id, a.ns2.rootbox.or.id;
>
> with
>   option domain-name-servers 203.114.226.34, 203.114.226.30;
>
> I'll try it.. and posted the results..
>
> Thank you.

No that's fine. The dhcp *server* resolves the hostnames when it starts
up. Using hostnames, rather than IP addresses, is a strongly recommended
best practise.

If you snoop the traffic to the clients you will see the DNS server IP
addresses included in the responses.

What version of dhcpd are you using? What is the server's operating system?

--
regards,
-glenn