"Healthy" servers issuing leases for length of MCLT

Oscar Ricardo Silva oscars at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jul 10 00:36:57 UTC 2010

We have a pair of servers running in failover mode and they appear to be
healthy and communicating with each other.  The problem is that while we
have the lease time set to 7 days, leases are only handed out for the
length of the MCLT.  I understand this is the expected behavior when the
pair of servers are not communicating but these servers are in a normal
state.

And yes, I know the split statement is set to 255 but we do this to
force preference onto the primary server.  We have two other failover
pairs running in the same manner without problem.

I've verified that there are no crazy time differences between the two.
  I've also restarted one server at a time and waited for them to
re-establish communication.

Any thoughts on why leases for the length of the MCLT are being handed
out on a supposedly healthy pair of servers?

Oscar

Primary:

default-lease-time 604800;
max-lease-time 604800;